Friday, February 4, 2011

*$(%*& School!!!

By M's standards, he had a good week. Unitl 2:30 pm on Friday afternoon. He rolled his pencil away and said he didn't want to. School ends at 3:10. Couldn't we just let it go.

Nope.

Got a call at 2:50 that the sheriff was at the school for M.

Seems that after M said no, someone who doesn't work with him, got involved and leaned on the table using her fists to hold herself up. (which some would consider a threatening position.) To quote the teacher who is working with M, he vacated which is the term that we use to describe what happens to him when he has a manic episode. It took two people to restrain him, and one person got bit in the process. The person who got bit was the person who doesn't work with him and who helped (in my view) escalate the whole process.

The school followed the IEP in that they called me, couldn't reach me, so called the sheriff. Reports were files, and now M has another assault charge pending.

I asked for a copy of the report since M is a minor. Was told that one of the teachers who wrote a report was uncomfortable with me having a copy of the report.

I have been in touch with a number of people and agencies since this happened.
I have been in touch with Protection and Advocacy. I have been in touch with the Sheriffs office to get a copy of the report. As a parent of the person charged, who is a minor, I feel I should have a right to receive the statements. I have been in touch with M's probation officer. I have been in touch with the psychiatrist.

I even tried to get in touch with the superintendent of the school.

M has mental health issues that the school knows about. Someone approached him in a manner that he saw as confrontational. (even unconsciously) He is not innocent. I am not say that he is.

M is on three days of out of school suspension.

Early next week, we will be demanding meetings with the superintendent, we are hoping to bring protection and advocacy. We are hoping and planning for M to be reinstated.

For the record, the probation officer (PO) gave me her opinion. She doesn't think that the school is doing enough for him. I explained to the PO that we hadn't her from Partnerships yet. I also explained who all I talked with as a result of this incident.

1 comment:

  1. In talking with M after supper, I asked him what he thought when the Deputy Sheriff came in. M told me that he thought he was going to jail. The probation officer told him that if he attacked someone again, she would have to put him in a place like jail for kids. He was pretty upset.

    So not only did he have the manic episode to come down from now he has the fear that he is going to jail.

    On a side note, the school is pressing charges. According to the principal, they are mandated to do so.

    I want to see that mandate.

    ReplyDelete