Tuesday, December 27, 2011

a reflection on the year

a moment of reflection. Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of my first heart event. I have had three this year. It is not an experience I recommend to anyone. I also had three mini-strokes a week after the March blizzard. The year has been a series of ebbs and flows. I haven't worked for a whole year, we closed my computer business that day. I spend my time taking care of myself, and my kids as much as my health allows. I have had to let go of a lot of things; siding the house, new roof on lower roof and garage, garden, yard work, and a few other things to name a few. You never know how much you do in a day, week or month until you can't do any of them anymore. I have been blessed with an incredible family who have stepped up to handle those things that I can not. In the process I have learned how hard it is to swallow pride. I have learned how easy it is to ask for help when I need it. Through it all, I have been given a couple of new diagnoses, including Fibromyalgia, and Hypothyroidism. I have a script for a walker, that I haven't had to use for a month now thanks to the magic of prednisone. I have two canes that I use as needed, though it seems more often lately. I have developed a fantastic group of online friends who offer me support when I need it. My friends in Fibromyalgia Chat and Reality Autism offer the support I couldn't find locally. I have a special place in my heart for the people who make up Carls group. They have listened to my rants, and shared their own. Heard about our struggles with the school district, and offered advice. In being part of that group, I have learned most of all that you can always move forward, and that sometimes taking two steps back is a step forward. In the coming weeks, I am launching a new site: http://www.whynotfathers.com to offer support for those fathers who suddenly find themselves staying home with their families. You can follow us on Twitter @whynotfathers I am starting to realize one thing that I value. Life is what you make it. Each day can be a good day, no matter how bad the day is. Making the decision to embrace the negative in a positive way will have an impact in your life. Thank you friends, and most of all thank you family, for giving me the past year, and putting up with my need to make sure the couch isn't lonely. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment