Tuesday, April 19, 2011

toll on family and health

I find myself thinking more and more about what our district is doing to M.  I can't fathom the level of failure that they are exhibiting.  Failure isn't even the right word.  I don't know what is.

Health problems are beginning to crop up in my life.  My other kids are feeling the toll of this on their lives.  They know that M is mentally ill.  They also know that there little brother is being treated in a manner that isn't right.  If a 12 year old boy with autism can see this, surely the school can see this.

We are meeting with the psychiatrist tomorrow.  Hopefully Thursday will begin the process of reentry into the classroom.  He really only has two days of school left before he starts the alternative placement and partial hospitalization recommended by his doctor. Then he will be out of the district until fall.  I can't stop correcting the wrong just because he is in an alternative placement.  If I do, what happens next year?  Do we just pick up where we left off?  I find it unconscionable that the principal and teacher can call themselves educators or professionals.

I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder.  There was a period when the disorder was in "remission" or at least not active.  That has ceased to be the case.  Since the school has started this school year, I have had heart trouble, mini strokes and dizzy spells to name a few issues.  All caused in part by stress. 

We are going to file a complaint with DPI and ask for a due process hearing. I really don't need to do both.  Depending on the outcome of that process, we will proceed with litigation.  I am not sure how I am going to pay for that, but will find a way.  The psychiatrist recommended contacting the state law school to see if they would take it as a teaching case.  I am starting that process now.  Not sure how I would go about it, but it all starts with a phone call or letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment